Saturday, March 17, 2007

Maple Walnut Meringue Cookies

I decided I'd experiment more with meringue nut cookie recipe. Since I had some maple sugar laying around, I decided to use them with some walnuts. The outcome was pretty good, but I think I prefer the version with hazlenuts better. Still delicious though.

INGREDIENTS

3 large egg whites at room temperature
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup maple sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup walnuts

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2. Lightly butter and barely flour parchment paper and place it on baking sheets.
3. Beat egg whites until foamy.
4. Add salt and cream of tartar then beat until stiff.
5. Stir in sugars gradually while still beating.
6. Fold in nuts carefully.
7. Drop batter onto cookie sheets. These don't spread much, so it can be fairly close.
8. Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until slightly browned.
9. Allow to cool then carefully peel them off.

No comments: