Friday, March 16, 2007

Meringue Nut Cookies



I baked three different kinds of cookies to give to my significant other's cousin's children, and this is the first one and probably the best. These turned out to be a huge success. Both my significant other and I loved them. Not to mention it's a very simple process though it does take a bit of patience to whip the egg whites stiff. The recipe comes from Country Desserts by Lee Bailey. Hazelnuts are easily replacable by any other kind of nuts. I think I'm gonna experiment with dehydrated strawberries next time. It's safe to say I've been converted. Homemade meringues rule.

INGREDIENTS

3 large egg whites at room temperature
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups hazelnuts

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2. Lightly butter and barely flour parchment paper and place it on baking sheets.
3. Beat egg whites until foamy.
4. Add salt and cream of tartar then beat until stiff.
5. Stir in sugar gradually while still beating.
6. Fold in nuts carefully.
7. Drop batter onto cookie sheets. These don't spread much, so it can be fairly close.
8. Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until slightly browned.
9. Allow to cool then carefully peel them off.

No comments: